TO MEMBERS OF THE KIC COMMUNITY
As you are all aware, jumu’aa prayers were held at KIC yesterday, March 13 based on information about COVID-19 in Michigan available to us at that time. Since then a lot of new information has come to light through various sources, including members of our great community, the State of Michigan, and opinions and fatwas issued by the majority of Islamic institutions in the US, including the Imam council of Michigan, AMJA, ISNA, ICNA., For instance, the Imam councils and the Fiqh Councils have issued fatwas that
allow Jumu’aa and Jama’a (congregation prayer) to be cancelled if there is a public risk to life or health.
Based on this new information, it is clear we need stricter restrictions on gatherings at KIC than those we adopted yesterday (3/13/20) for Jumu’aa prayers. Accordingly, for the safety of all our community members, the KIC board has decided the following:
• Jumu’aa prayers at KIC will be cancelled until further notice.
• Taraweeh prayers at KIC will be cancelled until further notice.
• All major activities, including youth groups, lectures, and any large
gatherings will be cancelled, including community iftars.
• The daily five prayers will still be held at KIC although we discourage
people attending during this time.
For the coming Fridays, please pray Dhuhr at home instead. Imam Hafiz Nauman will be doing a live lecture every Friday around 3:30pm EST. You can view this on his Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgB1hfqDtul3EsyYzMh3fAg
This decision was very difficult to make. However, it is an integral part of our religion to prevent harm and sickness to others. By taking these precautions and staying at home as much as possible, we can all help to accomplish this.
• DURING THIS TIME, PLEASE DO NOT GO TO ANY PUBLIC AREAS WITH YOUR FAMILY. STAY AT HOME AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE.
• Only go out to public places if absolutely necessary. Children and elderly
especially should stay at home. That is the purpose behind cancelling all
events, so people will stay home and reduce the chance of spreading the
• Remember the Hadith of our Prophet (SAW) who said: “If you hear that there is a plague in a land, do not enter it; and if the plague visits a land
while you are therein, do not get out of it”
• Please make every effort to utilize this extra time to strengthen your
relationship with Allah (SWT) through tawba (repentance) and prayer.
We Ask Allah (SWT) to protect our communities and give us health during this difficult time.